On the Eve of Lou's Birthday

Tomorrow marks one year of life for darling Lou.

I have so many thoughts and emotions spinning around my head and I'd love to write about it, but tonight is not that night.

Instead I'm going to leave you with words I wrote on August 16th, 2017, when Louisa was just an itty bitty newborn baby.  So, if birth stories are your sort of things, read on!

We are in between feedings and diaper changes and Louisa Mae is taking a snooze.   A perfect time for me to share a little bit about her birth and life since she has arrived!  We are really in a foggy newborn haze and soaking in each and every day, enjoying getting to know one another better.

Louisa was born on Monday, August 7th, 2017 at 2:11 PM (same birthday as her Daddy.)  I was scheduled for an induction on Sunday, August 6th at 3:00 PM.  I was so, so anxious and just wanted to get to the hospital and get this process going.  We left our house way too early and had about a hour to kill, so we stopped and had lunch and a beer (for Alex) at one of our favorite restaurants.  It was a little comical knowing that we were planning to have a baby in just a few hours.

We arrived at the hospital and were sent to triage, where a very abrasive on-call doctor examined me, contemplated sending me home, and then finally admitted me (thank goodness!)  We went to our delivery room, got situated and they started me on misoprostol (which softens and thins the cervix) around 4:30/5:00.  There was a nurse change around 7:00 PM and we ended up with the sweetest nurse who was just wonderful!  Every four hours I was given another pill and monitored 30 minutes beforehand and a hour after to make sure I wasn't having too many contractions and that babies heart rate was good.  In between those times I could get up and walk around and eat (not hooked up to anything.)  My parents came to visit, Alex watched TV and I was given a sleeping pill.  I feel asleep until about 2:00 AM (the nurse would come in to check on me every so often but I was out.  Thank you Ambien.)

At 2:00 AM while I was hooked up to the monitors I felt a POP and my water broke.  On it's own!  I called the nurse and was like "ahhh...something has happened..." Lol!  At this point I would say "labor" really began and things got a little more intense.  I started having regular contractions and they were unable to give me the last dose of misoprostol (because I was having too many contractions) and just let me labor on my own.

I can't really remember when but at some point they started an IV and Pitocin (probably around 5 am or so?)  Contractions continued to get intense and at 7:00 AM I started to think about getting some kind of pain medication.  I was just afraid to get anything too early and wasn't sure how long I would be in labor.  They checked me then and I was dilated to 4 cm.  The nurse suggested a pain med administered through the IV, which I happily accepted.  This made me feel like I was high, which was OK because I fell asleep and got some relief for about a hour.  Afterwards I still felt a little out of it and drowsy which I did not like.

Around 9:00 AM I was given the epidural.  I did not feel a thing while that was happening.  However, I was under the impression that the epidural would take away all the pain and I would have an enjoyable time as I labored on.  Ummm this was not the case.  I was numb everywhere except the pelvic area; I felt every contraction and immense pressure as contractions got stronger.

So, contractions continued to get worse and worse and around 11:00 I was in so much pain I told Alex I couldn't take it anymore and he needed to call the nurse.  He did and they checked me again and I was at 10 cm!  They let me labor down for a bit (also, my midwife was delivering another baby at the moment) and I lasted for another hour.  At that point I started throwing up uncontrollably (throwing up while having a contraction is not fun!)  The nurses got really excited at this point saying it was time to push!  My midwife came in and I pushed for about 1 1/2 hours.  Pushing was so so so hard.  After every contraction I just remember thinking I can't do this anymore!  But somehow I made it through and at 2:11 PM my baby girl was placed on my chest.  She let out a few cries but was quite calm, looking at me like she knew exactly who I was.  I really have no idea what happened after this and was just totally in a daze holding my daughter.

And now, please enjoy some newborn goodness :).